Sunday, October 2, 2016

New Moon Sighted - Tonight Starts Yom Teruah!

From Nehemia Gordon:


My Last New Moon Report

On Sunday Oct 2, 2016, the new moon of Yom Teruah was sighted:
  • from Jerusalem (Rechavia) by Devorah Gordon at 6:31pm followed by Nehemia Gordon, Jabniah Ashley Gonzalez, Cari Tarter, Dakota Tarter, Gil Ashedorf, Levi Tarter, and Harold Tarter.
  • from Jerusalem (Gilo) by Willie Ondricek at 6:35pm.
  • from Kiryat Ata by Yoel Halevi at 6:38pm.
  • from Moshav Ranen by Nili Lichaa at 6:50pm.
The photo at the top of this message shows the New Moon of Yom Teruah looming large over the Israel Museum in Jerusalem at 7:02 pm. I was so blessed to see the New Moon of Yom Teruah tonight. It is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my life!

As the title of this message indicates, this will be my last Aviv New Moon Report. After extensive fasting and prayer, I have decided to cease my public involvement in the Biblical Aviv New Moon Calendar, so that I can focus time and energy on other areas of my ministry.

I have been involved with the Biblical Calendar in one way or another since the 1980s, sighting new moons in Israel since 1993, and sending out new moon reports since 1995. When I first got involved in sighting new moons and looking for the Aviv Barley, I was only doing it for myself and the handful of Karaite Jews who participated with me in the endeavor. Over the years, people of other faiths and persuasions took interest and I welcomed anyone who wanted to respectfully participate in discovering God's holy times.

During Second Temple times, the Sanhedrin lit signal fires to inform the Jews of the Diaspora that the New Moon was sighted in Israel. In the late 1990s, I came to see my role of sending out New Moon and Aviv reports as lighting the signal fires from Israel. I am honored that God chose me to do this for a period of time in history. In the Torah, it says that the Levites were counted for 20 years of service in the Tabernacle. My 20+ years of service in God's calendar has come to an end for now. Please respect the decision I have made, based on the answer I believe God gave me.

I prayed to Yehovah about who would take over the task. The answer that came to me was Abraham hiking up to Mount Moriah with Isaac. When asked where the lamb was, Abraham responded, "God will provide for Himself a lamb." I pray God sends His Messiah soon to restore the Temple and bring peace to the entire world! 

Yom Teruah Sameach! Happy Day of Shouting!

Nehemia Gordon
Jerusalem, Israel
Please consider supporting Nehemia's ministry with a tax-deductible donation.

We are saddened that Nehemia will no longer be doing new moon reports, as we at Repent for the Kingdom have looked forward to hearing from him every month proclaiming the new month.  We wish Nehemia the best in his future activities.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment